Last dress I made in this pattern here. This time I really wanted to incorporate the colour blocking that is designed into this pattern. I think it looks pretty cool in this bright pink (and I'm a big fan of pink;)! The pink is a ponte knit, the dark blue is a cotton knit, and upon closer inspection, looks like a dark wash denim.
Ok, I have to bunny trail for a minute. This denim-esque cotton knit, I purchased at the NB Fabricville. There was 3 metres cut of the stuff being sold for a mere $3! I had to ask one of the employees if I read the pricing correctly. What a great deal! I love getting a deal, *especially* when it involves fabric;) Would you believe the 3m of denim knit was cheaper than the .4 meters of the pink ponte knit??
Alrighty, now back to the dress. Here are a few more photos... :)
This dress was not difficult, the most
|Front dress piece.|
Shown to the right are, with the kitties:), photos of the front and back pieces on the folds of my fabric. I always lay out my fabric on the living room carpet and cut loosely around the pieces and then take those pieces to the kitchen floor where I used my rotary mat and scissors.
I find it a lot easier that way, then I don't have to handle the whole length of fabric at once.
|Marking stitching lines to reinforce corners:)|
Like I mentioned above, this dress wasn't difficult, but it did take me a little while to figure out the insert part, as I've never done sharp corner's before. The directions are pretty good.
|Note, I should've marked the lines that intersect go further.|
I had to go back and stitch longer.
I didn't do the corner as well as I wanted, but didn't want to unpick all that stitching, so I figured out a way that I think helped:)
|Using a small piece of my friend "Steam a Seam lite 2" under the ripple.|
|I parted the ripple a bit with my fingers and pressed it a bit, again, with|
my finger before pressing it with my iron, then using my hockey puck "clapper".
|It looks even better in "real life";)I think it worked pretty well! I then|
proceeded to top-stitch on the denim knit, which will help it to stay
nice and flat (and sharp):).
One thing I did differently on this dress was shorten it a bit and narrow the bottom slightly. I measured an inch from each side seam and then used a french curve to make a chalk mark for the stitching line.
I think it makes it a bit more "pencil-skirt-like" and more flattering. :)
And here it is again:) Until next time!:) Everyone have a wonderful Christmas!! :)