Monday 23 October 2017

Paint-Splatter Dress, M6886 Hack


"We are Christ's ambassadors, and God is using us to speak with you. We urge you, as though Christ Himself were here pleading with you, "Be reconciled to God!"

"For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ."

2 Corinthians 5:20-21








     

      Good morning my friends!:) This latest make is a McCalls 6886 hack. I wanted a faux wrap style so used this this tutorial on Youtube as a guide. I made my crossovers fronts a bit more rounded. This  print was meant to be a wearable muslin, since my original fabric was a gorgeous peacock print that I didn't want to ruin further (I unsuccessfully made two different attempts with two different patterns!). I figured a basic wrap style would show the print best. I'll tweak the pattern just a bit and show more detail on my altered pattern piece next dress. I'm currently working on a Sew Over It Heather dress but I think I can easily finish that dress and cut & sew my second faux wrap this week:)





The fabric is a pretty polyester spandex I picked up at Fabricville some time ago. It put me in mind of a dress I had when I was a kid. My mom took me to pick out a dress for a School concert I think. Not sure if it was Christmas or some other occasion. What I do remember though, is as soon as I laid my eyes on that particular "pinkish/purple paint splatter" dress, I wanted it. I wasn't much into fashion when I was a kid but this dress really stood out to me. 





   




       
   

    I had to cut out the front crossover a second time since it was way too plunging the first time, lol. I probably could have given more thought to how I laid out my pattern pieces and I may have had enough for a self-fabric belt. I do like this $2 white thrifted belt though! A self-belt may have been too busy, what do you think? I still may make or try find a belt in a navy, wasn't much at Fabricville when I went last time. There was a cool navy faux leather but it had a thick plush backing that I wasn't crazy about.


      Well thats all for today! I usually do a review on Patternreview.com after a blog post, but I think I'll wait till my next version is done and post both dresses together. I've done so many versions of McCalls 6886 already, lol. I noticed a review last week of another hack where the dress had an added gathered flounce on the skirt. It was a beautiful metallic scuba knit. I'll probably try that too at some point, lol!
     

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! I love the belt with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! It definitely needs a belt, lol.

      Delete