Monday 19 March 2018

Floral Burda Jacket, Make Nine Progress:)



"It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your Name, O Most High."

Psalm 92:1








     Hello my friends, I hope you're all doing well:) I just finished the second of my 2018 Make Nine picks, this burda 6847 floral jacket! I'm a bit bummed that I can't wear it right now (including pics of it on anyway;) but this is definitely for post-baby, lol. I checked out all the other reviews on patternreview.com and shortened view A, by a whopping 8"! FYI, I'm 5'2":) I knew I wanted it shorter than the pattern photo anyway, and as-is, this would have been dress-length on me (I compared the back pattern piece to my beloved M6886 to see if I needed to shorten it for my torso, but it looked ok, but again, way too long! I purchased a shorter zipper too, ended up being 26" I think. I also shortened the sleeves a bit because they were definitely too long on me.





          This gorgeous floral print is a scuba-type knit I picked up at Fabricville last Summer. I previously made a skirt out of this fabric (I initially tried to make a dress, but it was a fail, lol). After that I figured it would better suit a casual jacket. I added knit interfacing to stabilize the zipper area on the jacket and on the facing pieces. I used a black Ponte knit for the hood and front facing. I decided to topstitch the front zipper area and stitch in the ditch of the hood/neck seam instead of all that hand-sewing the pattern instructed. I also topstitched the hood to keep it in place. My stitching there is a little uneven so I didn't include any closeups, lol!




   For some reason the stitches kept skipping when I tried to topstitch with a double needle. After trying several needles, I opted for this decorative stretch stitch. I really like how it looks and will definitely be using it again in the future!:)









   This is currently on my cutting table!:) Using the first two patterns of my 2018 Make Nine to make the third on my list!:) My FB sewing group is doing a "Pinterest Inspired" Challenge for the month of March, so I'm more motivated to do this Rain Cape now:) I don't think I'll be able to find a matching deep blue zipper, so I'll probably use a contrasting white one.


   Still figuring out what type of zipper application I'll use- regular, exposed, lapped, with a zipper guard?? Any suggestions?:)











    Well, that's all for now:) I'll take some photos a few months from now once I can zip it up, lol:) Have a wonderful day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. You made such a gorgeous floral jacket! I love the colors and how it looks on you! Best wishes on the rain coat.

    ReplyDelete