Saturday 25 March 2017

Grannie-Chic Bomber Jacket (Part 1)

“The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.”
‭‭
John‬ ‭3:35-36‬






    Hey everyone:) I decided to divide up this blog post into at least two parts. I thought it might be helpful to share photos showing how I lined up the front print with the zipper. I didn't want to drive myself crazy trying to make it perfect but I think it looks pretty good if I do say so myself!:)

  Please be aware that I'm using a different method than the pattern instructions recommend. I'm adding a lining and wanted to use a different method than my last jacket (thats my disclaimer, lol). I'll hopefully do a more thorough review once my jacket is complete:).



    My fabric is a beautiful quilted-knit I got from Fabricville. My sister jokingly referred to it as "Grannie-chic", hence the title;) The fabric reminds me of our grandmother who loved to sew and made lots of quilts. We affectionately referred to her as "Grannie"). She certainly was a big influence on me taking an interest in sewing.

The pattern didn't call for it, but I (very lightly & carefully)  added a narrow strip of knit interfacing to help stabilize the zipper area.
 
    First, I laid the jacket down and positioned the zipper where it should be before basting. I then marked the *back* of the zipper with a white marking pencil at three different spots (you could do more if you wanted to be *really* accurate. For me, three was enough.







 

   I found it easiest to just mark one side at a time with the purple marking pen.








      I took my jacket to my ironing bord (less slippery than the floor!) and lined up the print as best I could & used a clear ruler to draw a line across to the other side.



    I used basting tape to position the zipper & it made it adjust. I didn't take a photo of that step but the zipper is inserted as instructed (for an exposed zipper).

I sill need to sew it in place but looks pretty cool eh?:)

1 comment: