Happy Monday everybody:) I've learned so much during this project & even though it was confusing at times, I've really come to understand just how simple it is to line a jacket by machine (with as little hand-sewing as little as possible, lol:)
I took a few photos of the process (now that I'm done and looking back, I made it *far* more complicated than it needed to be! I did my own thing in attaching the waistband & lining so I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible. There's a few construction step photos I deleted by mistake! Hope this helps someone anyway:p
As I showed in my last post, I attached the black waistband to the front (floral) bands and then to the main jacket & inserted the zipper (don't topstitch the zipper yet!).
I used the same main body pattern pieces (front, side front, back & sleeves) and attached the front facing piece directly onto the front pieces of the lining.
(In hindsight I wish I had left that facing piece off the lining, since it made the zipper area very bulky and difficult to topstitch afterwards. Maybe I didn't trim seams enough??)
I then attached the lining to the waist-band at the bottom all the way across, right-sides-together.
This next step is bringing the seam allowances of either side of the waist-band together and sewing between the front (floral) bands.
I think it'll make more sense if you actually have a jacket you're working on. If in doubt, hand-baste it at first so its easy to remove the stitches if you make a mistake! (I did lots of basting!:) You could also use pins and act out the steps as well! I *hate* having to unpick stitches!
I referred to Kelly's kids bomber jacket tutorial blog post a lot while trying to figure out how to attach the lining to my particular jacket. Very helpful!
I purchased Kelly's 12month-12 year kids Bomber Jacket pattern & I can't wait to use it for my boys!! She has a free 2T pattern available as well! I was inspired to use a quilted knit after finding her post (I think its the exact same fabric too!:)
Here, the jacket and lining are placed right-sides-together. I found it helpful to pin it at the top first, then line up the rest. I sewed up both sides of the zipper and then up around the collar.
I pulled the jacket right side out to make sure everything looked ok, then turned it inside out again to trim seams.
I turned up the sleeve seam allowance and tacked it in a couple places (so I wouldn't get the sleeve twisted and attached weird later lol) & pulled out the sleeves through the opening I left for turning and machine sewed the lining to the cuff.
I did topstitch the zipper (it was very bulky with the facing) but just stitched in the ditch of the seams around the bottom band. The final step was sewing the hole closed (that I left for turning the jacket right-side-out) and clipping any loose threads. Next post will just be of me wearing my jacket!:D